Thursday, October 24, 2013

Kittens, Tits & Gasoline... (re: a humbling experience)


First of all, this is Loco, the newest addition to the Kain household. My oldest son found him on the street and we took him in and have given him a new home here with us. I'll give you a second to get done looking at his picture and saying, "Awwwwwwww...."

He's more adorable in person.

Two things have happened recently that have humbled me to no end. One was getting Loco. He's a few months old and a lil' spitfire. Full of the adorable piss 'n vinegar one expects from a kitten. I still can't get over how cute he is.

Since Loco came to live with us, I have found myself smiling a lot more. Loving a lot more. And I realized how much I missed having baby animals around. They are more awesome than... well, awesomesauce. He has brought out the best in me and I really enjoy having my lil' buddy around. And it makes me sad to think that he spent his whole life outside, running from big bad things that would try to hurt him. I wonder what happened to his brothers and sisters. Did they die? Did they find homes, too? It just breaks my heart when I think about it. Fuck, I'm getting weepy right now just thinking about that shit.

Anywho, so a second thing is also happening that is humbling me to no end (see also frustration, wonder, ripping the hair out of my ... oh wait, I shave my head. Nevermind.) I started an IndieGoGo campaign to try to raise funds so that I could record my band's next album in a professional recording studio instead of doing it here at home. I've been doing stuff with my band for a while and I make ok money. Ok, who am I kidding? I'm broke every month. But the point is, we do have a following and we do make some money from selling our stuff. So when I started up this campaign I figured, "Hey. People pay to get our stuff. Maybe they'd be interested in a fund raiser to help our stuff get bigger and better." 

So far the people have been speaking and the message is, "Get a job, you bum!"

Our goal, probably unrealistically, is $10,000. Honestly I never expected to make anything near that much, but I was hoping we'd make something from this. And we have. In the 11 days we have left in our campaign -- as of this posting, that is -- we have made 10 bucks. I am very appreciative, too, for the person who put their financial faith in us to do this thing. But I'm also frustrated and wondering where I went wrong? Did I not send out enough invites? Did I not post to enough places? Did I say the wrong thing in our pitch video? Did I make a SHITTY pitch video? Were the perks in our campaign not good enough? Too lofty? I don't know. I just feel like the wind has been kicked out of my sails.

So when November 3rd rolls around, and we've still only made $10 bucks, I'll once again be humbled. I'll be thankful that the donor put their faith in us, I'll use the money towards making the new album, and I'll try to do the best I can with what we've got. A Fallen Mind will always live to fight another day.

Oh, and the "Tits & Gasoline" part of this entry is one of the first singles we'll be putting out from the new album. I just wanted to make the title of this piece more provocative 'n shit. For Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment