Sunday, October 20, 2013

Boy Scout Rock Fiasco: Monumental Tragedy or Stupid Bullshit?


I was reading a status post on my friend Emery Emery's FB page about the Boy Scout Leaders who toppled over the rock in Utah. If you're unfamiliar with this story, you can read about it here and/or watch the video above. He had expressed that he was finding it hard to demonize these men for what they did and that gave me something to think about.

My wife, Jessica, showed the video to me a few days earlier and my only thought was "What a bunch of dumbasses." And then I went on with my day.

After reading Emery's post, and the subsequent responses to his post, it made me wonder whether I was missing the point of this whole thing and maybe this was a bigger deal than what I was thinking. I mean, these guys are now getting death threats over their actions. As an example of how people are reacting towards people who are either ok with this, or indifferent, I'll post a short back-n-forth convo. I had with someone in Emery's status. It went a lil' something like this:


After his last retort above I closed Facefuck without response and went to bed. I try to not get sucked into childish arguments and partake in other people's reindeer games ("try" is the optimal word here.) Sadly, I continued to think about this issue, and thread, for the rest of the evening. I swore I wasn't going to be affected by other people's opinions and yet I laid in bed thinking about this whole thing and whether I think the idea of a rock being pushed over is a devastating thing or just stupid bullshit. My conclusion is: stupid bullshit.

It's one thing to be taking a piss on Mount Rushmore. Even then I'm not sure I would entirely give a shit. But pushing over a random fuckin' rock? Come on. Maybe I'm not as "liberal" as I thought I was (or maybe not as black n white thinking) but to me it's just a rock. If the size of it was 10 times smaller, I don't think anyone would give 2 shits.

This actually kind of reminds me of of bullshit arguments and "fiascos" like the Coke and Pepsi debate. Or PC vs MAC. Toilet seat up or down. It just seems inconsequential to me. I've got better things to do with my time than to think about the pros and cons of pushing over a rock. Like, I don't know, feeding my family and paying the bills? Silly me.


No comments:

Post a Comment